Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Port - Step 1

I have a port.  It is really weird.  I had no idea what a port even was.  What a thing to need to learn. I can't even remember what time the surgery was originally scheduled but after moving head two times, Aaron and I got there at 6:30 AM.  Jennie Peakin and Lora DeCook - wow... what troopers... met us there that early also.

I got checked in and we went up to a room.  The three amigo's were able to stay in the room while I was gone.  I think it worked out well.  I certainly felt better knowing that Aaron was not alone.  First things first, I had to get ready.  They gave me the worlds biggest hospital gown.  Seriously...  This thing was giant!  I wrapped the whole thing around myself twice and still tied it in the front!  The nurse came in and just laughed. (Glad I could be the light in her day...Lol!)  She helped me get it tied correctly and then situated in the bed so that I wasn't showing off everything to everyone.

Next, I had to take off my jewels and adornments.  My wedding ring does not come off my finger often so that was literally and figuratively tough to do.  When my Parents found out about our official diagnoses last week, they sent me a beautiful necklace.  I love it... I cried happy tears. :)  It is a silver medallion of St. Agatha, the patron saint of breast health.  I keep it on all of the time.  It makes me feel safe and watched over. Here is Aaron taking it off... I was a little shaky.
Our next hurdle was the IV.  My veins suck.  Like... really bad.  This would be the reason that I am looking forward to having the port.  I don't want to feel like a pin cushion.  The nurses were so good.  Not only were they both really fun but they didn't let their egos get in the way when it came to my veins.  The first one found a great vein but it ran away just as fast as soon as she could stick me. On a side note, they numb me so I can't feel them looking.  That was a bit of a light to look forward to!
When the good vein ran away, she went to get the big guns.  A second nurse came in with determination and she was just as cautious and careful.  She laid the bed down, raised it up to her level (numbed my arm up again) and found a vein. JOB WELL DONE! Thank you so much for making it easy and painless. :)
When the anesthesiologist came in, he told me that he would give me just enough to love everyone in the room.  They called it conscious sedation.  Oh man, was he right!  I loved all of the people! Every single one of them.  I don't remember much other than chatting up a storm and then being told surgery was done.  I was totally baffled.  I didn't even know that the surgeon had been there.  They assured me that he had, in fact, been there and I had been chatting and joking with him.  Rest assured, they were laughing at my complete bewilderment. Yet again, I am very glad I was able to provide them with a light in their very early morning.  The rest of our time at the hospital was entertaining and I for one, was in a great mood and feeling no pain.  The pictures are not flattering!  Lol :)


We made it through step one of the cure.  I can deal with a few days of an achy shoulder and small wound. I am so thankful that my village -both near and far- is so strong and so incredibly loving!  I am one lucky girl.  The light at the end of this tunnel is a really beautiful one and I am starting to see the glimmer.

7 comments:

  1. Keep writing. It helps me know exactly how and what to pray for. Love you! Chris (Ford) Watson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling inspired by your strength. Keep writing, you are great at it Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. SO MANY of us are cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, your Aunt Mary shared your story with me. I am praying for you and cheering you on! I am a 2 year survivor and can tell you that the treatments stink but when they are done, you bounce back. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, your Aunt Mary shared your story with me. I am praying for you and cheering you on! I am a 2 year survivor and can tell you that the treatments stink but when they are done, you bounce back. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete