Tuesday, December 27, 2016

The Next Step

I made an important decision before my last treatment.  It was a big one, too.  I decided that nothing was going to keep me away from Kinnick Stadium for the final game of the season!  The Iowa/Nebraska game was a BLAST! We made sure to get to our tailgate spot bright a early so that we got a spot.  It was a close one...




The day was a blast with good food, fun games and GREAT friends!  With the help of hand warmers, feet warmers and my new stocking cap, I even stayed super warm.  The best part was that we won!  40-10 Iowa.  Go Hawks!!




Now, on to new business.  Chemo is D-O-N-E, DONE!
Treatment number six was a tough one but knowing it was my last helped.  After a week of taking it easy, I decided it was time to get back to normal, as far as work was concerned.  I worked three full days before I realized that it would be a four day week instead of five.  Lol... best laid plans, right?


The next two weeks were 5 days and pretty much regular hours.  I was tired and my feet were not thanking me but it felt so good to get back to this 'normal'.  I was starting to worry that maybe my job was a part time job since I had been doing it basically part time for so long.  I was wrong.  It just took the two week at regular hours to feel good about my job needing to be full time.  I need to probably give the best chiropractor ever a shout out at this point.  Dr. Jessica worked hard on my back!  That was a new side affect to deal with.  I think it had more to do with sleeping for 2/3 of my life than it did with chemo itself but she was able to keep me walking!


Christmas also happened in those two normal weeks.  Spending time with all of the parents, brothers, sisters and our kids was exactly what was needed.  OH... I found out on Christmas Eve that I could taste wine again!  I made sure not to over indulge - I didn't want to make myself feel yucky when I finally felt so good!  It was wonderful to enjoy a little vino with the ones I love :)  I hope everyone's Christmas was a great as mine!


My next battle happens tomorrow morning.  We check into Genesis East at 5:15am.  I will have a bilateral mastectomy at 7:15.  They are planning to take at least 10 lymph nodes from the right side also.  For now, we are leaving it at that.  I decided on taking both a long, long time ago.  Well before cancer happened, actually.  I have always said that if I was put in this position, they would both go.  I stand by that and we have not looked back.  We still don't know why I have breast cancer, so it is not worth chancing anything.  Facing the reality, I am just worried about the surgery itself.  I have never been through something major before.  Hopefully, one night in the hospital will do the job and I'll be at home with my husband, kids and parents on Thursday.  I have been told that recovery for this surgery is not so bad and the pain is actually more discomfort than anything else.  I'll be off work for three to four weeks if all goes as planned.


Once the pathology comes back, we will know if we need to do radiation or not.  I have been told by the oncologist and the plastic surgeon to plan on it though.  Apparently, treatment is typically very aggressive with women my age.  I am glad that they are being aggressive.  I don't want this back. 


Since radiation is very likely, the plastic surgeon can't do reconstruction at the same time.  After looking at the calendar for the upcoming year, I think we will probably wait until this time next year.  I want time to heal and be good.  I really don't want to take another summer away from my kids.


I have my family and friends surrounding me and that is all I need to get through this.  Thank you all for the thoughts, prayers and love that have been coming my way.  I feel all of it and they continue to work!  I will be in touch again after surgery.  Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment